International Domain Name Updates

caine Staff caine
Created: 3 years and 8 months ago
Hey!

I've updated some of our display code to handle international domain names better. I'd really appreciate if people would test it out and let me know if there are any issues. We want to keep making DuckDuckGo great for everyone, and that means making sure the URLs are really easy to read in any language.

I've attached an example.
Attached Files: 1
Capture.PNG - Full

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

Jlg
Excuse my ignorance as I did not know it was/is possible, but is that a top level domain in unicode?
posted by Jlg Community Leader3 years and 8 months ago Link
Jlg
I mean I can read it -sort of- but yeah I could not tell you what it means or says exactly.

I'm running Firefox build 31.0 on GNU/Linux if that helps...(And here is what I see from my end).

[http://i.imgur.com/OK2Lg5j.png]
preemeijer
Exactly the same here. Also using Linux and Firefox 31.0
But the same result is showing to me with Opera version 12.16 build 1860.
posted by preemeijer Community Leader3 years and 8 months ago Link
caine
I think I've confused things; sorry! I'm not referring to the image attached in this post. That is just an example. I'm saying that we now have better support for unicode domains. Since I mostly speak english, it's hard for me to find such domains.
posted by caine Staff3 years and 8 months ago Link
Jlg
Ahh okay. I'm just going to take a step back and say I don't know much about this..
caine
No problem! Thanks for being involved.
posted by caine Staff3 years and 8 months ago Link