Please, Please, Please Fix the News Boxes

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 9 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 9 months ago
News Boxes are not recognized by browsers as being generic, clickable URLs, and as such, standard context menu items that pertain to such links are not available. This is a crippling defect for those of us who perform heavy duty news research since "open in new tab" and similar context controls are not functional. For me, it pretty much renders duckduckgo as being unusable.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
I understand what you mean. I don't know if this is by design or not but for now you can hold the Ctrl key while clicking on a News Box to open it in another tab.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks, that works, so makes the thing workable, but still not as efficient as single-left clicking with Tab Mix Plus Addon for Firefox for power browsing. DuckDuckGo really should fix this.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
I can't speak to whether it is by design either, but I agree with you regarding decreased usability: Vimperator doesn't recognize them as links, which seriously impairs my efficiency.

Standard links would be greatly appreciated.
brians
Thanks for the feedback. I totally agree. As far as I remember, the intended design was that they should function the same as organic search results, where title is a link and the entire tile area is clickable. I'll take a look and see if I can get a fix in.
posted by brians Staff3 years and 9 months ago Link
caine
We've deployed changes for this. Please test it out and let us know what you think!
posted by caine Staff3 years and 9 months ago Link
x.15a2
I just tested using Pale Moon 27.4.1 (x64) and it works great, thanks!

1 note to others, in my scenario, it is the headline portion of the result that yields "Open Link in New Tab", etc. in the context menu. Using the alternate-mouse button elsewhere in the box does not yields the same results as before.
anonymous
Thank you. This kind of responsiveness is admirable; completely justifies the switch from google.

The fix doesn't seem to have solved the issue for me though (Firefox 31, 64 bit).

To double check that our issues are in fact the same, here is an example: I search "test," and a row of white suggestion boxes appears above the main body of the results, containing terms such as "Software Testing," "Statistical Test," etc. Nothing in any of the boxes is recognized as a link when I press F to activate Vimperator's follow link functionality, or when I right click inside the boxes. (Am I correct in believing that the "headerline" portion of each box is the upper portion of the box, with the largest text?)

This problem also exists for me in the image and video searches--- neither Vimperator nor the context menu recognizes the boxes in which the images and videos are placed as links--- but it is less of a problem there because I use those functions less.

Not sure if it will be helpful, but it sems worth noting that the "Expand," "Settings," and "Region" buttons are all reognized by Vimperator.

Sorry to complain at such length. Thank you again for your work.
x.15a2
Thanks for the feedback. To be clear, the OP was specifically referencing News boxes, which is what the update has corrected. The news boxes seem to work correctly with Vimperator as well.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=News+New+York
[http://snag.gy/mr1NM.jpg]

I tried searching just "test" to replicate what you are reporting and found that the change doesn't (yet?) affect Meanings, Images or Videos.
anonymous
Thank you for clarifying. The change to the News boxes is exactly what I was hoping for, and I can confirm that it allows Vimperator to function correctly.

Seeing the change replicated across the other varieties of box would be fantastic.
Sandrine17
Je viens de l'essayer et ça marche très bien!
posted by Sandrine17 3 years and 9 months ago Link
ScreapDK
Hey Caine, I've just tested this in Firefox (v30.0) on WIndows 7.
It gives me the following results:

* When Clicking on the title:
0. Just clicking:
Working?: Yes.
What happens: It opens in the same tab.
Was that expected: Yes.
1. CTRL+click works:
What happens: Opens in new tab.
2. Right-click and clicking "Open in a new tab" in the context-menu:
What happens: Opens in new tab.
3. Clicking scroll-wheel:
What happens: It open the link in a new tab. Plus it makes Firefox warn about pop-ups pop-up being blocked.
Was that expected: "It open link in new tab." = Yes. - "Plus it makes Firefox warn about pop-ups..." = No.
What was expected: That it would just open the link in a new tab, not making pop-ups.
Notes: I'm sure it's just Firefox misintepretting it as a pop-up

* When clicking on the description:
0. Just click:
What happens: It opens in the same tab.
1. CTRL+click works.:
What happens: It opens the link in a new window (not a pop-up).
Was that expected: No.
What was expected: That it would just open the link in a new tab, not a new window.
2. Right-click and clicking "Open in a new tab" in the context-menu works:
Working?: No.
What happens: Context-menu does not have "Open in a new tab"- nor "Open in a new window"-options.
Was that expected: That I would be able to do same as when right-clicking the title. I.e. be able to ope in a new tab/window.
3. Clicking scroll-wheel:
Working?: No.
What happens: Link does not open at all. Firefox, again, warns about pop-up being blocked.
Was that expected: That it would just open the link in a new tab, not making pop-ups.

Please note: It have the option "Open new windows in a new tab instead" turned off in Firefox.
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader3 years and 8 months ago Link
ScreapDK
Screenshot of Firefox when it's throwing the warning about pop-ups:
[http://i.scrp.dk/ddg/5ZGw7wZ.png]
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader3 years and 8 months ago Link
caine
Thanks for the feedback! The description could be improved, I agree. We have tasks to address some of these.
posted by caine Staff3 years and 8 months ago Link