DuckDuckGo Privacy Settings And Cookies - Menu?

MyUser MyUser
Created: 3 years and 10 months ago
Hi,

I was wondering if DDG has advanced privacy settings menu or a page to view cookies DuckDuckGo has placed on your computer. I wrote one for the search engine I'm working on and I think it's a cool idea to be able to:
- View cookies DDG has placed without having to go through Firefox menus
- View explanations and about pages on each cookie
- Delete specific cookies
- Ask for DDG cookies not to be saved on your computer
- Ask for DDG to place more cookies on your computer for added functionality

It was easy for me to write in PHP and I'd love to see it in DDG.

I was also wondering what data is collected about searches like countries they came from, day of the week, day of the year and response time.

Cheers,
MyUser

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

zac
Check out the privacy policy: https://duckduckgo.com/privacy (specifically this section)

In short:
-No cookies by default. Non-personal cookies are added if you change your settings, so they're able to be preserved if you close your browser
-No identifying user information like IP or unique user agents. If it can tie searches to a user, we don't have it.
posted by zac Staff3 years and 10 months ago Link
MyUser
Hi,

One of the first things I did when I started using DDG some time ago was check the privacy policy.

"No cookies by default" ... "added if you change settings". I checked my DDG cookies in Firefox and it gave me a couple, both named "5", both with the content "2". The privacy policy doesn't explain what these mean and they're not that self-explanatory. I'm fine with them there and I have changed my settings but I don't know what they are.

An example of what I mean would be something like this:

-------------------
|
| There are no cookies from
| DDG on your computer

|
-------------------

OR

-------------------
|
| s (text size): l (large)
| f (floating header): y (yes)
|
-------------------

Thanks for the quick response, sorry I wasn't so fast. If my response sounds heated, it's not supposed to be. I'm just debating your points.

Cheers,
MyUser
posted by MyUser 3 years and 10 months ago Link