Why is DDG losing users?

toothy557 toothy557
Created: 3 years and 9 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 9 months ago
I'm curious about whether DDG's Staff understands the problem. DDG's privacy situation hasn't changed. I still suspect it's the auto-suggestion feature -- though this really is not something to be concerned about regarding privacy -- I don't think most people understand anyway. For reasons aside from DDG's simple, straightforward (as in, mindful and genuinely intended; no creatively fickle ideas) and very respectful privacy policy, I use DDG because it is BETTER.

Not only does DDG have a straightforward and sensible privacy policy (finally a software company run by REAL HUMANS), but they take care to deliver this policy as broadly as possible.

DDG's new update has finally put itself beyond Google and Bing, but I still think DDG needs to try creating a native desktop application designed for intellectually-minded people. Traditional "search" tools will never become good enough for intellectual work.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

zac
Thanks for the support! Our traffic is actually doing just fine :) but because summers often lead to fewer people using the internet, you can see a slight dip in the graph.

We really need our community of fans to get their friends to switch. The more people activating others to use DuckDuckGo, the more people realize that a better search experience does exist.
posted by zac Staff3 years and 9 months ago Link
toothy557
I have told one friend several years ago (I don't have many friends, haha). He said he tried it for about a week but decided to go back to Google because Google's results were better. I'm not sure what he meant. For the entire duration which I've used DDG (almost 5 years) I have never found better results from Google than DDG. I've used "!g" a few times when I suspected their crawler's long-running age to be more promising for finding old, obscure pages I want to find -- but this has never actually been a proven case. When DDG's results are somewhat irrelevant, I usually submit feedback; but neither Google or Bing ever do any better anyways (for the record: really, NEVER, in my experience).
posted by toothy557 3 years and 9 months ago Link
toothy557
Anyway. Maybe it's just coincidence, but I think ~5 years is a long time. I'm being completely honest. DDG is great ;)
anonymous
For me and many people I know, poor relevancy of search results is still a recurrent issue. It's the number one obstacle which is preventing users from switching to DDG. The new design didn't really address the issue.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 9 months ago Link
dany29
Tous ce que je sais, c'est que plusieurs site du genre sont fondés et la plupart des personnes y sont attirées! d'où les utilisateurs de DDG sont de plus en plus moins nombreux.
posted by dany29 3 years and 9 months ago Link
toothy557
Yeah. I hear this a lot. I still don't know what people are talking about because whenever it's bad for me and I check any other search engine -- it's still bad no matter which I choose.
toothy557
Can you give me an example? Really.
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 9 months ago
preemeijer
The following I share with you all from experience...

What I'm experiencing with 'normal' users is that they don't know which search engine they use. They just want a white screen with a search bar that tells them: Search term here.

In the Dutch language the default term for searching the internet is Google. I really don't get this. The average user does not even see that the default search engine is switched to Bing, DDG or some sort of malware search bar. They just type the search term and press enter.

I try as many people to get them to DDG and tell all of them that they need to change the region setting. That is the most important thing with the use of DDG.
posted by preemeijer Community Leader3 years and 9 months ago Link
toothy557
Maybe DDG needs more team members who don't speak English as their native language.
letizia
I do believe that good search results cannot be obtained from only one search engine. Good researchers know that, and DuckDuckGo can sometimes unexpectedly give results that are difficult to find in other search engines. It all depends on the topic of your research and the relative sensitivity/sensibility you set.
posted by letizia 3 years and 9 months ago Link
looma
I am Swiss and I often want to fade out German results ("search in Switzerland"), this option does not exist here.
The search with picutres is not as confortable with duckduckgo, but I find, the difference is small.
posted by looma 3 years and 9 months ago Link
toothy557
Yeah. Interesting. Language & Location seem to be necessary options.
toothy557
What about image search? I find DDG's interface better than Google and Bing. Make sure you click the <Expand> button which has a 9x9 tiled-square icon. I know you cannot look for similar images or perform reverse search. Those are problems.

As well, it is not possible to chain-off with the image tab to refine your search results without needing to press <Expand> again -- at least I'm not aware about this feature.
MyUser
Hi,

On the right hand side of results, just below the instant answers ribbon, you should see a stylized globe, perhaps with the text "No Region:". Click on it and a of countries and their languages will appear. Select one and the page will reload with your new, region-tailored results.

Cheers,
MyUser
posted by MyUser 3 years and 9 months ago Link
toothy557
I find it odd how the climb/fall peak appears very linear. This must be implying something, right?
jackyan
I know for me I have had to stop using DDG on a cellphone, because since the new look, it simply does not work.

I’ve recorded my concerns at this forum.

Maybe DDG’s only for new phones and those of us who have older ones are left in the cold. If I’m not alone then that’ll explain any drop in mobile traffic.
posted by jackyan 3 years and 9 months ago Link
zac
Hey, Jack--is the lite version failing you as well?
jackyan
Thanks, Zac. I didn’t know this existed till Jaryd told me about it yesterday. It works fine although I can’t turn SafeSearch off.
posted by jackyan 3 years and 9 months ago Link
zac
Thanks for the follow up. I don't have anything to share at this point but we're taking a look.