The New Settings Pages

zac Staff zac
Created: 4 years and 1 month ago
Check out the new DuckDuckGo Settings pages, courtesy of @brians: https://duckduckgo.com/settings
Attached Files: 1
Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 6.24.55 PM.png - Full

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Wow, looks great. But I've noticed that Medium font size is larger than the Large font size. Also I'd really like to see the settings page centered if I set it so. If not, well I can add it to my userstyle :)

Thank you.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 1 month ago Link
brians
Just fixed the font size issue, thanks for spotting that one.

Centering the settings page is a good idea. I'll add it to our to-do list!
posted by brians Staff4 years and 1 month ago Link
bostonpeng
I just have one problem. Selecting a theme blows away any changes we made, putting us back at square one. I understand the reason for this but I really wish we could switch from, say a tweaked Contrast theme to a tweaked default theme. It looked like the Contrast theme didn't want to accept some of the colors I had picked based on a color scheme I had created online.
posted by bostonpeng 4 years and 1 month ago Link
brians
Yes, you're correct, this is a tricky use case.

We have been making the Themes more prominent on the site. Therefore, it's important that when someone applies a theme that it gets applied completely as intended. We don't want people who had maybe changed a color setting at some point to try a theme and get some ugly hybrid Frankenstein looking thing. We also thought when changing themes, any granular tweaking you might have done to colors wouldn't necessarily apply to the new theme. i.e. The off-white highlight color you might have liked in Contrast theme probably wouldn't like right in Dark theme.

So that was the thinking behind it. However, as you point out, the downside is that for the users more familiar with all the granular settings it blows out any fine tuning you might have done on top of the theme and you have to start over with the new theme.

We can take it back and discuss more, maybe there's a better solution here, definitely open to any ideas you might have!
bostonpeng
Actually I agree with you completely. Perhaps the only thing that could have been done differently is to let us know that would happen when we select a theme to make sure we can note our settings first. The only other thing I noticed is that we've lost the named colors so I had to find the hex value for what I had but that's another case of something that may only be affecting people like me who go for nitpicking settings and if we're that picky we know how to find what settings we want to set.

Beyond that if there's a better solution it's something to be found by someone much smarter than I. Thanks for responding to my comment and being willing to tweak some more. I can't tell you how much we wish other sites would have done that when they pulled the trigger on UI changes.
brians
You're right, we probably could have communicated that the change was coming earlier. That's something I can take back and we can try to do more of in the future.

I had no idea people were using named colors in URL params, that's a miss on my part. We actually broke that a while back when we launched the redesign. That stinks. I can look into what it would take to add that back, but the damage is probably already done as far as breaking people's settings...

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. We don't have any data about how people are using settings, so it's useful to hear this kind of information.
bostonpeng
I didn't even know that broke. I still showed the right background color when I loaded my settings. If you could get what color names were available and post a page with what the colors mean in hex, or maybe the old color names with a note to get them in hex via Instant Answer, I'm sure it would be appreciated by those of us who used them.
brians
Actually, that Instant Answer already exists!

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=hex+color+fusc...
bostonpeng
I was pretty sure it was. We may just need a list of the old colors to help us remember what we used "back in the day."
brians
It was probably just supporting the basic html color names. This wikipedia article has a good list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors
bostonpeng
I recognize the HTML color names list. Could get get a link to this on the Appearance Settings page for those who need the reference?
0x539
Maybe it would be a solution to let users make their own (tweaked) themes which would get stored in their cookies and displayed when they should select a theme.

I'm sorry if my English isn't very good.
posted by 0x539 4 years and 1 month ago Link
MyUser
Love it.

One thing to note though: it looks better, but for a reason I can't place, it feels more complex. A possible remedy for this would be if it didn't show the extra appearance tweaks on the appearance menu and instead showed a big + button or "Advanced" or something like that. If you clicked on that, the page would expand downward, showing the extra tweaks.

Perhaps also the help text below each item could be fainter until hovered and not there on smaller screens (until you click a help button).

One other thing: "GET requests: Search queries are included in URL (if off, searches will use POST requests)". I know GET/POST but I feel others might be intimidated by that and the talk about "URLs". I think you might want to find some better explanatory text.

Again, I love it. It fits the new interface and just feels... better.

Cheers,
MyUser
posted by MyUser 4 years and 1 month ago Link
brians
Thanks. This is great feedback. We actually discussed the 'Advanced' thing on the Appearance tab, not sure why we didn't end up doing it, but maybe we should add it...
Bull3tM0nk3y
Awesome! It is a lot better and smoother. I also love the explanation of how your "cloud" save is secure. Makes it a lot easier for newer people to understand everything.
posted by Bull3tM0nk3y 4 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
hey i like the new page. but i used to be able to set my own font, fixedsys. i use the terminal theme with fixedsys font. can you add that font as an option? since now i am not able to specify custom fonts, that option appears to be removed.

either add "fixedsys" as a font option

bring back the custom option

make a terminal v2.0 theme with fixedsys as the default font

please help me out thanks.
anonymous
this used to be a link to my settings, now ill start using the cloud.

https://duckduckgo.com/?k7=222&kt=fixeds...
brians
Thanks for the feedback. You are correct the ability to add custom font was lost on the UI of the settings page. I'm working on adding it back.

However, it should still work via URL params. Do you have a 'fixedsys' font installed? This works for me if I change the font name to "Courier New":
https://duckduckgo.com/?k7=222&kt=Courie...
brians
FYI--We just released an update that allows you to specify a custom font on the settings page. You can select 'Custom' in the drop down and type in the name of the font in the input field. If that font name is valid you should see it update automatically.
seanlevan
Honestly, I love the new settings page- it boasts an overall much cleaner interface :)
posted by seanlevan 4 years and 1 month ago Link
zac
Thanks @seanlevan! Great to hear it!
posted by zac Staff4 years and 1 month ago Link