Please have something similar to Google instant.

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 10 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 10 months ago
Please have a feature that is similar to Google instant to make searches faster.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

seanlevan
I have heard many people suggest this, but personally in my opinion I do not think it's necessary for the following reasons:

- DuckDuckGo, unlike Google, is significantly more focused on providing exactly what the user is looking for (through means such as zero-click answers), while Google instant often suggests other searches that may get you side-tracked.

- Because of the search suggestions DDG has integrated, I really don't see it necessary.

- I'm not sure if it would currently be an issue, but when it was suggested way back Gabriel Weinberg mentioned that it would hog too much bandwidth (delivering the results for each keystroke)
posted by seanlevan 3 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
But while your typing in the search box, the search suggestions come up really slowly compared to Google; what I mean is that say that I am searching for "youtube", the search suggestions come up or react/appear slowly or lately compared to Google.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 10 months ago Link
x.15a2
I just tested this on a very slow connection from Windows 7 (64 bit) using Pale Moon (64 bit) using both the DDG main page and the DDG PM extension and received multiple answers instantaneously.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 10 months ago Link
toothy557
I think DDG could do much better than "make searches faster" which I think is only one aspect to responsiveness. If there were a sensible way to refine searches, I'll be happier! There's not a sensible way to refine searches. Instant results will only help people experimentally guess which queries work and which don't without actually giving them explicit tools to describe their needs.
posted by toothy557 3 years and 10 months ago Link
toothy557
I'd prefer drag & drop / stack based semantics. Have a look at .werkkzeug or Game Maker
toothy557
I also think a tile-based layout will be most intuitive (like Windows 8, but functional rather than ... an outrageously missed opportunity)