Advertising on DuckDuckGo -- I know, I know!

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 8 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 8 months ago
Right now we can advertise on DuckDuckGo via the Bing/Yahoo network. This has two major disadvantages for DDG and it's users:

1. Yahoo/Bing end up tracking us, which we as DDG users are trying to avoid!

2. Advertisers that want to target DDG have to waste 99% of their ad spend on Bing/Yahoo searches to get 1% of it to show up on DDG, thus supporting other search engines that we don't want to support.

Users wouldn't have to be tracked to support a simple one-ad-per-page advertising system. You'd just report page load #818371919 clicked on ad #18218. With the ads not being syndicated on other sites (like AdSense does), nobody has any motivation to do click fraud.

I humbly request you seriously consider it.

Thanks
Doug

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Quote:
1. Yahoo/Bing end up tracking us, which we as DDG users are trying to avoid!

When you type in a search, we can show an ad just based on that search term. For example, if you type in, "car" we show a car ad. That doesn't involve tracking because it is based on the keyword and not the person. We currently show just one ad though as opposed to the many you'll find on other search engines.
If you are still uncomfortable with the ads you are free to turn them off.

Quote:
2. Advertisers that want to target DDG have to waste 99% of their ad spend on Bing/Yahoo searches to get 1% of it to show up on DDG, thus supporting other search engines that we don't want to support.
DDG has a very small staff and using Yahoo-Microsoft Search Alliance reduces the need for ad sales and marketing.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 8 months ago Link
toothy557
I think Doug has a solid point. I'm not sure I understand this. Can you explain how the Yahoo-Microsoft Search Alliance helps?
posted by toothy557 3 years and 8 months ago Link
x.15a2
Beyond what I posted above, the information in this page may help: https://duck.co/help/company/advertising...
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 8 months ago Link