Just a tip on Metadata with EXIF when you are using Social Media.

Jlg Community Leader Jlg
Created: 3 years and 2 months ago
Greetings,

I don't often post information on this regard but hopefully it may be of use to some. By default images generally taken on iPhone & Android (unless you have changed the default option of leaving the GPS data in) leave almost a digital trail of your location. You may or may not know this as EXIF Metadata. It is actually inside images you are probably sharing right now. That's where this post comes in.

Upload an image for yourself to: and examine the results for a better understanding.

Now you may or may not see the problem? But it is also the device your using and the GPS co-ordinates you were at, at the time of taking the photo/image with your camera. There are two ways of "stripping" the EXIF Metadata both of which are free (libre).

First for Android there is a great free Android application on the Google Play Store called Image Privacy

If you are a GNU or Linux user you can do this on the command line also. run "sudo apt-get install mogrify" (Sorry I'm a Debian Desktop guy so your install command might be yum).

To use this equally awesome libre tool run this

"mogrify -strip <file.jpg>"

And now you are not sharing so much nasty digital trail of yourself on the internet.

I hope this helps some.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

Jlg

Just a simple script to do it automagically, if used as a cron job in Debian/Ubuntu.
posted by Jlg Community Leader3 years and 2 months ago Link
Jlg
The file naming is wrong it should be metacleah.sh but works fine when running the script & using. Obviously tweaking it to your setup is the ideal way to use this bourne script.
Jlg
**metaclean.sh
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 2 months ago
rssssl
It's a good idea to do that.
posted by rssssl Staff3 years and 2 months ago Link
TheAdamGalloway
Just as a sidenote, it's GNU+Linux, not GNU or Linux ;)
posted by TheAdamGalloway 2 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
Mogrify is a command to be used to strip EXIF info from images. The name of the util is ImageMagick.

Refs: http://imagemagick.org/

http://imagemagick.sourceforge.net/http/...
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 10 months ago Link
x.15a2
There are also Android and iOS apps (probably other mobile OS's too) that allow you to view and\or remove EXIF info.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 10 months ago Link
javathunderman
You can try Koredoko on iOS and Android.
posted by javathunderman Community Leader2 years and 9 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 10 months ago
anonymous
There's also the "exif" command line utility, I use Arch Linux, you just need to have the AUR enabled and you can install it, the easiest way to do it would be to also enable yaourt, and then type

Code:
sudo pacman -Syu && yaourt exif

In my case it's the option number 9, I had this utility a long while ago, it's also available in Fedora with the RPM fusion repos; anyway, while it's something really basic I think a lot of people will find this useful.

This would be for Fedora

Code:
sudo yum update -y && sudo yum install exif

And btw, I think you meant a Unix or Linux user because GNU is not a kernel neither an OS. When I'm on FreeBSD I use a command line utility known as that, as exif.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 9 months ago Link